November 25, 2017

Arab League criticises UN Libya strikes

A Libyan government convoy outside Benghazi is turned into french toast by Sarkozy's fighter bombers.

Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa has criticised French, British and US air and missile strikes against Libya.

Speaking in Cairo, Moussa said “What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone, and what we want is the protection of civilians and not the bombardment of more civilians.”

French and British fighter bombers have been hitting ground targets around Benghazi and Tripoli. Over 120 cruise missiles have been fired from United States and United Kingdom warships in the Mediterranean sea.

Newswarped is wondering what the Arab League expected? Gaddafi’s forces were penetrating Benghazi and the collapse of the rebel forces was imminent.

A pro-Gaddafi reoccupation of Benghazi would have unleashed a wave of reprisals against the civilian population for their support of the uprising.

Colonel Gaddafi himself continues to speak out against the United Nations backed strikes, saying that Libya will fight a “long war”. “We promise you a long, drawn-out war with no limits.”

Libyan State TV says 48 civilians have been killed and more than 100 wounded. Last night the speaker of the parliament said hospitals were filling up and that there had been a bombardment of a civilian part of the city, but there’s been no independent confirmation of that.

Newswarped wonders if the anti-Gaddafi forces would be as scathing about the coalition air attacks as what Mr Moussa is? We think not.