December 12, 2017

Mexican Navy capture massacre suspect

Anyone that thinks murdering people is just business deserves to suffer the same fate themselves.

The Mexican navy says it has captured the lead suspect in the murder of 145 people whose bodies were found in mass graves in the northern state of Tamaulipas two weeks ago.

The suspect is Omar Martin Estrada – known as El Kilo. He is accused of being the local branch manager of the Zetas drug cartel in San Fernando, where the bodies were found.

A $1.2m reward had been offered for his arrest. But it is unclear the reward was a factor in his capture. Five other suspects were also arrested.

Estrada is also accused of being involved in the murder of 72 Central and South American migrants whose bodies were found in the same area last year.

Security forces had already rounded up around 16 suspected members of the Zetas cartel in connection with the mass graves.

A number of local police officers are also being questioned about possible protection being given to the criminals.

Most of the victims are thought to have been abducted from long-distance buses travelling north to the US border.

The motive for the murders is unclear, but there is speculation the cartel gunmen may have killed men who refused to join their ranks.

Forensic scientists have been working to identify the bodies, some of which have been taken to Mexico City.

Hundreds of people whose relatives have gone missing have gone to see if they can identify their family members among the dead.

The Mexican government says around 35,000 people have been killed in drug-related violence since President Felipe Calderon began deploying troops to fight the cartels in December 2006.

Mexico’s Human Rights Commission says more than 5,000 people have also been reported missing in that period.