September 17, 2019

Malcolm Webster guilty of murdering wife for insurance money

Malcolm Webster and Claire Morris on their wedding day. Sometimes evil is very well disguised.

A Scottish jury has found Malcolm Webster guilty of murdering his first wife, Claire Morris, and attempting to kill his second wife, New Zealander, Felicity Drumm, as part of an insurance plot.

Webster, 52, was convicted at the High Court in Glasgow of attempting to kill Auckland nurse Felicity Drumm by drugging her at various locations in New Zealand and the UK between July 1996 and February 1999, to the danger of her life and the well being of her unborn child.

He was also found guilty of the murder of Claire Morris, 32, in a staged crash in Aberdeenshire in 1994 for a £200,000 life insurance payout.

Webster drugged her, drove the car off the road and started a fire while she was unconscious in the vehicle.

Drumm and Webster travelled to New Zealand in December 1998, and the Kiwi returned to Britain this year to give evidence against her estranged husband.

Webster claimed his first wife’s death was a tragic accident and denied the charges against him, but the jury of nine women and six men found him unanimously guilty.

The court heard Webster did not pay off his mortgage with the insurance payout, but lavished gifts on women he was involved with soon after Morris’s death.

After one of Drumm’s sisters contacted police with suspicions in 2006, officers turned their attention to a tissue sample from Morris’s liver that had been preserved.

Tests on the liver tissue revealed there was a 92.4 per cent probability temazepam, which can be taken to treat sleeping problems and for sedation, was in the sample.

A third woman, Simone Bannarjee, whom Webster allegedly attempted to bigamously marry and told he had leukaemia as part of a fraudulent scheme, gave teary evidence during the trial.

Other witnesses travelled from Peru, Yemen, Australia, New Zealand and America, including a string of women seduced by Webster over a decade.

Malcolm Webster’s trial which began on 1st Febraury has set a new Scottish record as the longest criminal trial with a single defendant.

In stark contrast the jury only took four hours to decide he was guilty of all charges.

Newswarped praises the family members and police who never gave up searching for the truth.

Malcolm Webster must have thought he had gotten away with it all. Now he will be spending most of the remainder of his life in prison. Many would consider he has got off lightly.