July 27, 2017

NATO admits “systems failure” in Tripoli raid civilian deaths

Damage following the NATO air strike gone wrong in Tripoli.

Nato has admitted “a weapons systems failure” in an air strike on Libyan capital, Tripoli on Sunday that led to civilian casualties.

In a statement, NATO said the intended target of the strike was a military missile site, but “it appears that one weapon” did not hit it.

“Nato regrets the loss of innocent civilian lives and takes great care in conducting strikes against a regime determined to use violence against its own citizens,” said Lt Gen Charles Bouchard, commander of operation Unified Protector.

“Although we are still determining the specifics of this event, indications are that a weapons system failure may have caused this incident,” he added.

The Libyan government earlier said Nato bombed a residential area, killing several civilians.

Sunday’s attack, in one of Tripoli’s poorer neighbourhoods, happened shortly after midnight, Libyan officials say.

BBC correspondent Jeremy Bowen, was taken to the site by government officials, and saw two bodies being removed from the rubble.

Locals said an entire family had been killed, though our correspondent was unable to immediately verify this claim.

It is surprising that with so many air and missile strikes carried out by NATO forces against urban targets that more civilians have not been killed.

It is also good to note that the Libyan authorities are not producing propaganda all the time as many in the western media are happy to imply.